A requirement for all clients is an appearance and participation in a court hearing called 341a Meeting of Creditors. This can often lead to nerves but it is rare that a creditor appears at the meeting. With Law Offices of Lady Justice, Attorney Mona Patel will accompany all clients to this meeting and prepare on what to expect.
WHAT TO BRING
- Valid photo identification such as a California driver’s license
- Original, unaltered social security card or W2
- The names and addresses of anyone that you provide with spousal or child support
WHAT HAPPENS AT THIS HEARING?
The hearing often takes no longer than a few minutes, however, there may be a wait time until the case is called. Below are some sample questions you may get asked by the trustee present:
- State your name and address for the record.
- Have you read the green information sheet? This information sheet will be provided to you right before the hearing.
- Did you review and sign your bankruptcy papers before filing with the court?
- Is everything in the papers true and complete in to best of your knowledge?
- Is there anything in the bankruptcy papers that you have not listed or are there any errors?
- Did you list all debts and all assets?
- Have you ever filed for bankruptcy before?
- Have you sold or transferred or given anything away in the last 2 years greater than $1,000?
- Do you own or rent your home?
- Do you pay alimony or child support?
- The tax returns provided are true and accurate and most recently filed tax returns?
Trustee will then return your identification and social security card. There is nothing to be nervous about as the attorney will be present with you help with anything you may not know.